My beautiful and wonderful family!

My beautiful and wonderful family!

Monday, August 25, 2008

New Calling

I received a calling in my single's ward yesterday. I am the new Relief Society pianist. WOW! Talk about scary! I mean I did play for primary, but lets face it, primary songs are not even close to as hard as hymns! I am definitely nervous but I know it will be ok. I hardly ever get a chance to play anymore and so this will definitely be good for me! Oh, I have to confess that the scariest hymn for me to play is "True To The Faith", just the number 254 gives me chills because I'm glad I'm not the one playing it. Don't ask me why but that's just the way it is! So guess what I had to play for the opening hymn in Relief Society yesterday?....you guessed it..."True to the Faith"! I was so nervous it was ridiculous! But I pulled through and I don't think I did half bad! Phew! What a relief!

I think the thing I am most nervous about is taking away from the spirit. Have you ever had a pianist who was just really having a hard time playing and it was very distracting? Well I don't want to do that! When I was 12 years old I was new in Young Women's and they asked me if I could play the piano. I only knew a couple songs so they chose one of them. I had never accompanied anyone singing before and I was nervous and my playing definitely showed it! It was a disaster and I was so embarrassed. My mom was in the Young Women's presidency at that time and I remember talking to her after church. She told me (in a very sweet way) that maybe I shouldn't play until I knew I had it right so that I wouldn't distract from the spirit that the opening hymn is supposed to bring. That has always stuck with me and I realize now how important it is to be prepared to play.

So we'll see how it goes! I am really excited for the opportunity! I think I may be praying really hard every time I get up to play, but there are worse things right? :)

1 comment:

kyle said...

You can do it! If possible, work with whoever picks the hymns so you can at least know them ahead of time and practice a bit before Sunday. That's what I have to do for Sacrament meeting because there are some hymns I can't play on the organ.

If all else fails and you're having trouble during the hymn on Sunday, cut out the left hand (or part of it) and just play the important part(s). That way you can keep playing and they can keep singing and it won't distract from the Spirit. There might even be people singing along who wouldn't even notice the change. Nobody is going to stone you for playing what you can.

And be confident! Be happy! Have fun! Good luck!