My beautiful and wonderful family!

My beautiful and wonderful family!

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Lots of thinking...

So today in our single's ward we found out that our bishop was just diagnosed with abdominal cancer. It was a HUGE blow to everyone. Even I, who haven't been in the ward that long, took it pretty hard. He is a wonderful wonderful man. I have really appreciated him these last couple months I've been in the ward. He will be having surgery on Tuesday to remove the cancer. We are all fasting for him. I was deeply touched today as our first counselor spoke about him and asked us to fast. There was an instant feeling of unity and love in that congregation. I was amazed at the concern everyone had for him and his wife. I was asked to give the closing prayer in sacrament meeting today and as I was asking for blessings on our bishop I was overcome with a great love for him and empathy for him and his family. I know what it feels like to receive news of a serious diagnosis like that. My mind was brought back to last year, a year from today to be exact, when I found out that my grandpa had terminal cancer. I started to understand today what it means to have your bowels filled with compassion. I know how his family must be feeling. It's so hard to deal with something like that. I just hope that this surgery is a success and that he heals well, that there will be no more concern after it is done. We shall see, but until then , my thoughts and prayers are with them.

No comments: