My beautiful and wonderful family!

My beautiful and wonderful family!

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl Sunday

I am probably one of the few people who doesn't watch the Super Bowl. It's ok, really! There's nothing wrong with me! :) My entire growing up life we have never been a family to watch TV on Sundays and if it is on at all, it's because there is a church video on, or the BYU channel. Since I grew up with that, it kind of bothers me to be in places on Sunday that are rowdy and where regular TV programs are on.

Today in Sacrament Meeting our bishop talked about how it's amazing that the whole world seems to be focused on the "Super Bowl" today. How one event gets so much hype and that everything seems to revolve around it. Think about it! Our schedules revolve around it, grocery ads, even our weekly Sunday Social we have every week after church was canceled because of the Super Bowl. It kind of made me laugh because I could really care less, but it is such a big deal to everybody else.

As I mentioned earlier my family doesn't watch TV on Sundays and we have never watched the Super Bowl. Well seeming how it is the Arizona Cardinals, "our team", going to the Super Bowl this year everything seems to have changed in regards to watching it. WOW! My dad and my brothers are watching it downstairs and they even have my grandma watching it, who I thought would be the last to crack! Kinda funny. I'm not down there though. I don't really want to start watching it, besides the fact that I really could care less anyway, I know nothing about football!

But I had a really good Sunday today at church which I think is another reason I'm a little reluctant to be in the rowdiness downstairs today. Have you ever had those meetings where you just really needed to hear what was being said, and you didn't realize how much you needed it until you were there listening? That was my day today.

I hate to say it but Fast Sundays in a Single's Ward are the hardest for me to sit through. I have always loved testimony meeting, but since I have been in the single's ward there have been some pretty interesting "testimonies" shared that kinda make me feel uncomfortable. My dad has been in a couple of bishoprics while I was growing up and he is a "By-the-booker", meaning that the church handbook is his best friend and that if something is not following those guidelines he fixes it right then and there. So growing up I have always heard stories about things being appropriate or inappropriate for sacrament meeting and so when certain things happen that I know are wrong, it tends to make me feel really uncomfortable. I know I'm weird!

Today's testimony meeting was not that way at all though. It was so full of the spirit and there were some testimonies shared today that I really needed to hear. I was very grateful for all my meetings today. I needed that spiritual boost this week! I really appreciated the things that were shared.

I just don't want to lose that spirit too quickly today. It was much needed. As our Bishop said today, it has been a "Super Sunday!"

No comments: